INCA TRAIL TOURS: THE 10 BEST THINGS TO BRING
If you are counting down to trek through one the Inca Trail Tours to Machu Picchu, this information will be extremely valuable to you.
No matter if you are up to complete the classic inca trail or you have decided to enjoy the short inca trail, you should be sure about what you are going to put in your backpack to kick the adventure off.
Do not worry about cooking and camping equipment or an extra bag, because our gentle porters will carry them. Therefore, you only need to pack your backpack only with essentials.
Pack your bags in advance with these advises!
REQUIRED FOR BOTH INCA TRAIL TOURS:
- Passport: This is the most important thing to keep. Because you will need it, both for the entrance to inca trail as well as for the tour to Machu Picchu.
- Trekking poles: We recommend you to bring a pair of trekking poles (in special for the classic inca trail) that are retractable and easy to carry. Keep in mind that there will be steep stretch along the routes and this item can reduce the impact on your knee and leg joints. You can rent with us the trekking poles as well.
- Reusable water bottle: Staying hydrated is the key to avoid any altitude sickness (in the case of the short inca trail there is no altitude sickness). Although, official tour operators such as Natourandes provides you water at campsites.
- Extra cameras and batteries: Owing to the change of weather along the classic inca trail, the batteries may discharge faster than normal. About short inca trail, if you have your camera charged, this should be not a problem.
- Waterproof zip bags: This will be the most useful way to keep your valuables or important items dry and safe.
- Trekking towel: Make sure you have a quick-drying towel on hand for the both inca trail tours, small to medium sized will do the job.
- Sun protection: Remember, protecting your skin is important along the inca trail to machu picchu. Make sure you have a high SPF sunscreen (especially for the classic inca trail).
- Hand sanitizers: Ideal for disinfecting and cleaning hands before and after the box lunch on the short Inca trail. As well when they get dirty while walking.
- Insect repellent: This item is vital throughout the inca trail hike. You certainly do not want to be bitten by mosquitoes at night or along any Inca trail tour.
- Backpack: To carry essential items for the short inca trail. While if you are going to trek through the classic inca trail you will need a 50 L backpack.
ONLY FOR CLASSIC INCA TRAIL:
- Sleeping bag: You will need to get a good one, and we can offer you the best sleeping bags for the inca trail tours to machu picchu. Contact us!
- Head torch: Campsites do not have electricity or are in low light; therefore, bring flashlight with you. In addition, on the fourth day of the classic inca trail, you can trek before sunrise for an unforgettable view of Machupicchu.
- Small padlocks: To avoid dropping your belongings that are inside your backpack.
- Money: To pay for showers and other things you might need (subject to available) along the inca trail hike. Perhaps to tip the porters, tour guides and cooks too.
- Personal toiletries: Such as toilet paper, toothbrush, toothpaste, travel soap and shampoo, among others.
CLOTHES FOR THE INCA TRAIL
- Trekking T-shirts: Make sure you include at least three short-sleeved and one long-sleeved t-shirt in your backpack for the classic inca trail. Meanwhile for the short inca trial, just 2 t-shirts. Do not bring cotton t-shirts!
- Shorts and trekking trousers: Bring 1 or 2 trekking trousers or shorts, although modular trousers that convert into shorts are ideal, so you save space and are much more versatile.
- Weather-resistant jackets and “poncho” for rain: You never know what you might encounter along the inca trail tours to machu picchu, so it’s best to be prepared with a waterproof jacket or poncho, especially for the raining season.
- Hat and sunglasses: Remember that the sun is aggressive at these environments. Therefore, you will need a hat that is easy to fold to put in your backpack.
- Hiking shoes: This is the most important thing for hiking the short inca trail and the classic one, so make sure you find good ones that fit your feet well.