“Embark on an exciting four-day odyssey through the Tambopata National Reserve, a haven of biodiversity. Witness the mesmerizing spectacle of mammal and macaw clay licks, a rare opportunity to connect with nature’s wonders.
About this activity:
Full Itinerary: Phenomenal Jungle
Once you arrive at the Puerto Maldonado airport, your naturalist guide will meet you. After a brief stop in town to store large luggage, drive to the pier and travel by covered motorized boat to the amazon ecolodge. En route, spot bird species typical of the local river and forest edge. The Tambopata Rainforest area holds the world record for the most bird sightings in one area.
Enjoy a welcome drink and orientation. Before dinner, head out for a night walk around the lodge grounds. Get the lowdown on local flora and fauna, and grab a flashlight to discover what’s living around lodge grounds. Receive help from the talented, expert naturalist guide to locate heaps of hidden creatures, about 50% of the animals are nocturnal in our Tambopata ecotours.
After an early breakfast, you will board our launch for the 9-kilometer ride upriver to the trailhead. You will spend an hour walking this trail, with plenty of time to observe Amazon flora and fauna along the way. At the clay lick, with your guide you will await the arrival of the white-lipped peccaries that often gather here to feed on mineral deposits. Moving on through the forest, you will continue to the macaw lick, where in the early morning groups of scarlet and red-and-green macaws often gather to feed on clay deposits. After plenty of time to observe birds, you will return to the river via another forest trail, and take the launch back to the amazon ecolodge in time for lunch. On the trails it is possible to see howler monkeys, capuchin monkeys and squirrel monkeys. After lunch, guests can choose from a number of options, including:
- Exploring the trails around the Amazon Ecolodge.
- Visiting a nearby forest farm.
- Swimming in a stream that flows close to the lodge.
- Relaxing and enjoying the facilities of the amazon ecolodge.
In the evening, you will return to the river in search of nocturnal fauna, including caiman, after meeting in the bar for a brief talk given by our guides about this fascinating nocturnal creature. You will search for caiman using flashlights to pick out their “eye shine” as they hunt along the riverbanks.
Enjoy visits to oxbow lakes to learn about the jungle and its inhabitants. Be introduced to the area’s rich flora and fauna by expert naturalist guides, who can teach extensive uses for medicinal and other forest plant resources through traditional techniques. We will get on time to have a delicious lunch at the heart of the lake. The afternoon is free for relaxation and bathing.
Time to return to the city of Puerto Maldonado is scheduled according to flight time of the group. In the mornings you can see the wildlife that is particularly active at this time, are frequently heard howler monkeys or stop. Your guide will give support to his arrival in Puerto Maldonado and will relocate to the airport and assist you on your flight.
Cancellation Policy: 60 days or more before the date of the start of services: only the bank charges will not be refunded.
Know before you go:
- Transportation: Land Transfers & Included Tours/activities: Many of the land transfers and included tours will be by private van, car or taxi, while others may be shared with other travelers depending on availability, nature of the activity and destination.
- What to Take: We recommend the use of a duffel bag or backpack (whichever you find easiest to carry). A good size daypack is also essential. PLEASE NOTE that your luggage allowance for the jungle boat from Puerto Maldonado is 10 kg. Excess luggage can be safely stored in Puerto Maldonado – please talk to the local guide of you need this arranged.
- Finishing Point Instructions: Please do not book any flights out of Puerto Maldonado until 11am or later
- Packing List: Knee-length socks, Loose-fitting, light coloured hiking pants, Loose-fitting, light coloured long-sleeved shirts, Pack liners to waterproof bags, Binoculars (optional), Camera (With extra memory cards and batteries), Cash, sunscreen, insect repellent, hat, sunglasses, swimwear, sandals/flip-flops.
- Motorized canoe: Be prepared to protect yourself from the sun and bugs before getting on the boat. The boat’s quite pleasant with the covered roof and breeze, but passengers can still get sunburned. It’s recommended to wear light long sleeves and trousers on the boat.
- Transfers Puerto Maldonado – Ecolodge: As part of the itineraries we offer, we provide daily transfers from 12:00 to 13:30.
- Transfers Tambopata – Puerto Maldonado: As part of the itineraries we offer, we provide daily transfers from 7:30 and 8:30 from the Ecolodge to the airport at Puerto Maldonado. We therefore recommend return flights from Puerto Maldonado departing between 11:00 and 13:30. Those guests departing on later flights should remember that they will be required to wait in the airport for their departure or spend time in the town of Puerto Maldonado from the time they are transferred by the company from the Ecolodge to the local airport.
- This tour begins and ends in Puerto Maldonado entrance tickets and internal flights are not included.
Voucher Information: Confirmation will be received at the time of booking.
Emergency Phone Number for Travelers: Cell phone: +51 924 298 708 / +51 967 741 544 / +51 993 695 548
Mobile Access: We accept mobile vouchers.
Guidance Service and Information: Spanish and English
Minimum participants per booking: 02
Prices per person:
|USD 942.00||USD 761.00||USD 665.00|
Pick Up point: Puerto Maldonado airport.
Hotel Pick Up Description: None
End Point: At Puerto Maldonado airport.
Type of Pricing: Price per Person
Starting time: You will receive information about your tour upon arrival at the start point (Puerto Maldonado airport) and will have a local guide for all included activities while at the Ecolodge.
Ending time: This tour ends around 10:30 a.m
Private Option: This product option is non-private
The entrance Fee to the TNR: Aprox. $ 10.00 per person
FAQs Phenomenal Jungle
- All meals included
- All transport from your arrival
- Professionally guided tour
- All meals and accommodation from lunch on Day 1 to Breakfast on your final day (inclusive).
- All transport from your arrival at Puerto Maldonado to your return to the airport (inclusive).
- All guided excursions describes in the itinerary (including on additional days, if you wish).
- One night excursion on the river looking for Caiman.
- Entrance tickets to monuments and museums
- Personal expenses
- Tips to guide and driver
- Flights to and from Puerto Maldonado
- The entrance Fee to the TNR aprox $ 20.00 per person
- Airport taxes.
- Any drinks you may purchase from the bar.